Who/Where: Theater Alliance, H Street Playhouse
- the uniformity of the tone
- the lyricism of the mood
- the quiet confidence of the performances
- the understatement of the whole
- the language, preserved with all its music intact
He worries that:
- Even at 90 minutes, it flags about 4/5 of the way through.
- The understatement and the quiet and the taste and the restraint ultimately make it feel too polite to be truly moving.
The verdict: Lovely, but not transporting
Photo (Colin Hovde): Carleen Troy as Pecola Breedlove